Rochester General Hospital (RGH) and the Rochester Union of Nurses & Allied Professionals (RUNAP) met today for our fourth bargaining session. The session began shortly after 10 a.m. and ended just before 2 p.m., with both sides discussing several issues as they work towards a first collective bargaining agreement.
Today, the parties reached no tentative agreements. Additionally, because the Union said they had made substantially all of their proposals at the first two bargaining sessions, they made no new proposals. They also made no counterproposals.
During the Session, the Parties Discussed the Following Counterproposals from RGH:
- Personnel Files and Evaluations: RGH’s counterproposal agrees with many of the components of RUNAP’s proposal and details the processes for employees to review their performance evaluations and personnel file. RUNAP has not yet responded to this proposal.
- Discipline: RGH presented a counterproposal outlining very specific steps for the employee disciplinary process and when and how those steps will apply. Further, the counterproposal addresses how RUNAP will be informed of and involved in the discipline process. RUNAP has not yet responded to this proposal.
- Union Activity: RGH’s counterproposal details when and how RUNAP and its representatives may visit RGH premises and how they must operate, engage with RGH employees, and conduct union business while at RGH facilities. RUNAP has not yet responded to this proposal.
- Grievance and Arbitration: RGH presented a counterproposal to specifically define and outline the steps associated with the Grievance and Arbitration processes, with the express goal of resolving any issues at the earliest stage possible. RUNAP has not yet responded to this proposal.
- Temporary Reassignment (Floating): RGH’s counterproposal details which employees may be temporarily reassigned or floated to a different unit, how the temporary reassignment process works, and outlines the operational support employees will receive during the reassignment. RUNAP has not yet responded to this proposal.
- Low Census: RGH presented a counterproposal outlining the process for canceling shifts as well as the order in which shifts will be canceled in the event of low patient census in a unit. RUNAP has not yet responded to this proposal.
- Postings and Job Bidding: RGH’s counterproposal describes the process for how RUNAP members can learn of, apply for, and (if the employee’s application is successful) transfer to a new position within the Hospital. RUNAP has not yet responded to this proposal.
RGH and RUNAP are scheduled to meet again for bargaining on Monday, January 30. We will issue another update following that session to keep you informed. You can sign up to receive email or text alerts when a new bargaining update is posted to the website and also submit any questions. Please visit www.RGHNursesMatter.org for more information.